Ogden City was still evolving when the first school was established in 1850 with Charilla Abbott as the first teacher. The school system continued to grow with public and private institutions accepting students. A bond issue passed in 1890 allowing for new buildings, including the showplace school, Central. Ogden High School called the “best and most attractive school in the world” was opened on October 29, 1937 after a cost of $1.2 million. Ogden High School and others still stand as proof of the community’s commitment to education.
See the full story
Utah School for the DeafIn the fall of 1896, The Utah School for the Deaf opened on Twentieth Street between Monroe and Jackson. The law required that all deaf students from the age of eight to eighteen attend. The aim of the school was “to develop self-respecting, self-supporting individuals who, in spite of their handicaps, can sustain themselves in ordinary society.” They were schooled in Domestic Science, Physical Culture and Manual Training.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/2/rec/16
Ogden Military AcademyOn October 1, 1889, the Ogden Military Academy opened with 70 resident students and 50 cadets at 200 North Washington Boulevard. It was advertised as a "boarding school for boys and men strictly military in character." The school charged each cadet a fee of $750 per year to cover his schooling, room, and board. The school had varied academic courses and some were taught under the direction of United States Army officers. By 1897, the school became the State Industrial School.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/3/rec/11
Ogden Congressional AcademyUnder the direction of the Congregational Church, the Ogden Academy located on 25th Street and Adams, was built by the New West Education Commission in 1887. The school had a capacity of 600 students and taught primary and intermediate grammar along college preparatory grades. The goal of the founders was to provide intellectual, moral, and spiritual development under Christian influence. The school was later sold to Ogden City and used for public schools including Ogden High School.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/7/rec/10
Sacred Heart AcademyThe land for the new Sacred Heart Academy was purchased in 1881 for $20,000, but it was another ten years before the school could be built. Saint Mary's College of South Bend, Indiana paid for most of the construction of the school buildings. Sisters of the Holy Cross administered and did much of the teaching at Sacred Heart. The school opened in September 1892 and closed in June of 1938.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/23/rec/12
Broom's Bench classroomThe Broom's Bench School was finished in 1890 with one room, four windows, two doors, a solid blackboard at the back, and located on 12th Street. The school was opened in January 1891, by Miss Linda Irwin who had moved west from New York because of her health. Miss Irwin became an important teacher in the Ogden schools, serving in the Broom's Bench district which included Washington and Grant schools for over eight years. When the railcars could not drive through the snow drifts, she frequently walked the four miles from her home on 36th Street and Kiesel to her school. She lived to be over 87 years old and served Ogden as an educator of many students over her career.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/18/rec/17
Central SchoolOn September 26, 1880, Ogden city dedicated the Central School. Built on 25th Street and Grant, it was the “show school” of Ogden for many years. The school ushered in a new era for the public school system in Ogden. In 1911, the city sold the building to the Order of the Elks to serve as their lodge.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/17/rec/19
Dee SchoolIn 1904, the Ogden City School Board decided to build a new elementary school on 20th Street and Ogden Avenue to alleviate overcrowding at other schools. The school was named the Dee School after Judge Thomas D. Dee, who was Board President and active in the Ogden schools. The ten-room structure housed elementary school kids until 1912-13 when it became a junior high school.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/16/rec/20
Weber High SchoolPrior to 1926, students living elsewhere in Weber County had to pay $40 a year in tuition to attend Ogden High School. A $300,000 bond issue was approved by voters 733 to 480 to build a new high school. Weber County High School at 1100 Washington was built to accommodate the growing rural population of Ogden. Even though still under construction, classes where held at the school starting in the 1926-27 school year.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/11/rec/36
Ogden High SchoolOgden High School began in 1890 using the upper floor of City Hall as the classroom, with the first graduating class consisting of seven young girls. In 1896, the School Board leased the building on 25th and Adams that was owned by the New West Educational Society. By 1898, 185 high school students were enrolled. Pictured here is the graduating class of 1899.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/5/rec/29
Five points schoolIn 1890, the Five Points School district became part of Ogden City. The city voted to build a bigger school for the elementary students in the area of 3rd Street and Adams Avenue. The new school building cost $16,770. The school grew from three teachers to eight by 1905. In 1919, W. Karl Hopkins, Superintendent of Schools, renamed Five Point School, Lincoln in honor of President Abraham Lincoln.
Weber State University http://dc.weber.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/SCHOOL/id/15/rec/21